Saturday, December 1, 2007

O B S E R V A T I O N S

God it's GOD !!!!

Curtain raises

Location: Breakfast place – The Machines’ Lab !

Saranya : enna di ore bhakthimayamaa vandhirukke
Nee thaan atheist ache (Subha joins her)
Me: atheist ???? me !!!! Who told you?????
Subha : hey aren’t you an atheist?????
Me : No!!!!
Saranya : en di vibhudhi vechirukke
Me : Dad wanted me to !!! yen atheist aa irundhaa vibhudhi vechikkakudatha?
Sowmya : seri freeya vidunga di…….(a perfect ending !!!)

Curtain falls


Atheism !!!

I am apprehensive about being branded that way ! Strangely, my mum too regards me an atheist. Am I feigning theism or for that matter atheism? Well, I did give a sincere and a serious thought about it and unraveled something really interesting about my mystical thought process. I deem the so-called ‘Holy Scriptures’ to be an ‘Outstanding fantasy writing’ very much like our present J K Rowling’s magnificence in writing. Thousands of centuries later, who knows, Harry Potter could be reckoned a ‘happened-before’ incident. To me, these scriptures are implausible. I personally feel that such stories were made up to instill fear in the minds of people. It was a very tactful creation to claim a stronghold on people. Many would cite various existing and traces of once existed artifacts, monuments and pagodas. My strong conviction is that such things were already anticipated and pre meditated. Am I sounding like I have been greatly influenced by Dan Brown’s ‘The Da Vinci Code’? Well, No !

I don’t doubt holiness but I doubt the very ‘Personification of Holiness’ or simply the 'Humanness of God'. See, (I’m still capitalizing the first letter of ‘God’ ! I was taught in my school days that it was an unwritten rule to capitalize the first letter in words like ‘God’ and ‘Himself’) I do believe in higher powers but not a total surrender to an illusionary personification of higher power. I believe that somewhere in our body, there is a place that gives you some confidence and consolation in times of distress and loneliness. It is this strange feeling that has been tactfully exploited by many who declare ‘Believe in God’ rather than ‘Believe in Yourself’ !

I know what you are thinking ! I am sounding too prejudiced and atheistic ! But am not !!! I am an atheist when it’s prefixed with various super natural beliefs like Astrology and others. I am a theist when it’s prefixed with some higher (not above the sky !!! but the zenith of knowledge – one’s own mind !) power centering on the individual.

Temples !!! I visit temples, though not frequently. But I love going there because it gives me a sense of peace. The idols are beautifully carved and sculptured and just like how Sara Crewe gives me immense pleasure, so do those ‘Divine idols’. Temples are made of stone and such stones add some chillness and peace to the atmosphere. I love the way these stones treat me when I enter a temple (I’ve never been to a church or a mosque !).

How am I vetoing the allegations thrown on me of being an atheist ? I am not against prayers. To me, God is the manifestation of one’s own self-belief. It exudes a feeling of not being lonely. I do pray ! The belief or the confidence that sets upon us while praying is very scintillating. But I am very much against these ‘Deiva kuththams’ or ‘Parihaarams’ ! They are a means of escapism or abstinence.

Well, I don’t know if I have put my feelings about the issue properly in writing !!!

Who knows what will happen? One fine day I may be writing about my spiritual experiences as a firm believer of God vetoing whatever I wrote in here ! But this is my outlook as of now !!!

P.S. This post is not intended to hurt the sentiments of anybody. These are personal opinions and I suppose I am given the fundamental ‘Right of speech and dissent’. If I happen to hurt somebody through my writings, I apologize not for my thoughts but for my way of putting it in a manner that was offending !

P.P.S. Forgot to mention about this ! When some book happens to touch my feet, reflexively and invariably I tap my hands on the cheek and blow a kiss(that’s how everybody does while praying !!!!). Such habits have been sown right from my young age and they are deep-rooted ! And I don’t intend to get rid of such things too !! What’s the harm ?

P.P.P.S. Wondering what P.P.S is? Well, it’s nothing !! Post the Post Script !!! Now, don’t come about asking me what P.P.P.S is?
That was intended to finish on a lighter note after a heavy weight thought process exhausted all my resources like Time, Energy, Memory and others ! No wonder why they call ‘Threads’ a lightweight process !!! Got to segregate my brain like threads and ensure Multi-tasking ! (I am back from a hectic examination, so please put up with this ‘mokkai’ !)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shivapriya,
Read ur Dec Blog(god its GOD),which u asked me to see in gtalk.Each hav a own perception of god.and each hav a way to approach god.I certainly feel no one can be an atheist in this world. A small question for u.When ur in a die hard problem or in the verge of writing a CAT, why do u pray,when u hav a confidence over ur intellect???? There are a lot of proof's to conclude on the fact that god is there.. I will sincerly intend to giv u those if u needbe.
Yes i totally accept the fact that belief is enough and over-exaggeration of these belief's has led to ppl thnk whether god is really present or not.. A good article. dont stop urself abt writing on certain issues ...
P.S I just gav my views...no offences

Nitwick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nitwick said...

@Swami

Your views are not at all offending !! Perceptions differ....To answer your question as to what I do in critical situations, I pray (I dont deny that !)....Prayers give me solace and the much required confidence......The power of words is immense....That's the reason (I think !) why slokas have great power !!! A friend rightly put it 'You are Agnostic rather than an Atheist !!'.....

Srinivasan said...

He he.. nice topic...
n i luv calvin n hobbes...way 2 goooooo....
bt hey y did u hv to write a lengthy blog rather than clearing the air in front of the machines lab itself. Tht wud hv been way easier..
Jus kidding. Ok so y do u think it is something bad to be branded as an atheist. Atheists are the only group of people who are contended with their status and don't advertise themselves like the rest. They claim that status only when asked about.
Hey these r some quotes i came across...
"When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself"
"In a strange, paradoxical way atheists discuss more about religion than the rest." (He he... hence proved.. u r one)
"God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom."
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered.
Religion is answers that may never be questioned."

My take is, religion is an institution created to bring the common people in line, though of late the original purpose seems lost. And it is upto every individual to follow or question god's existence. Anyway I never form an opinion of a person wrt to his religious status. I respect everybody's sentiments. After all it is a big world and there is always room for all. :D

P.S : Anbe sivam answers all dese questions in an amazing way.

swaminathan said...

Hi Shivapriya,
yes totally accepted fact prayers do giv confidence. and the comments given by srinivasan was good.. hes good, keep pulling this gals legs and she will burn u .... beware...

Anonymous said...

wait let me go back .......think and come again....

Anonymous said...

Hi Shivapriya God is there or not is not the my work to tell you....it is only you who can feel it when you reach a certain level.........mere my saying that God is there will never change yoiur india.........religion of hindutva is a religion which imcompasses everything so noboday can tell he is athist as atleast you have believe in yourself as youy can can feel yourself the same way you automatically becomes the personal god for youself...according to Hindutva as there are two kind of God impersonal and impersonal.......and consciously or sub consciously you are foolowing the religon.in hindutve there is no rigidity that you have to follow certain God or person as it is the only religion which is not made by any person but is based on the practices and these practises were the result oif the research of our great sages who used to reach to conclusion through analysis of the matters.....Anyway if someone tewlls he is a religious person and doing wrong to other than he is anti religious as no religion teaches that bad things...so you are religious as you apologies for what you have not done but only wrote what you felt right....so being a such person you are a true hindu what I feel rest on your side to decide.....

With Admiration

Nitwick said...

@Kaushik

You seem to speak like a true BJP man...Just kidding !!!! But that was indeed a good analysis.....I dont know how far I can agree to what you have written but I'm surely not going to refute any....let's see.....keeping my fingers crossed and eagerly waiting for the time when I'll turn truly religious !!!!

KAUSHIK MAVERICK said...

what have you got impression about the my analysis is similar to what I wanted to express but not the same.............As I feel accordind to Upnishads or Vedas that every human being despite their claim of their Sects thay are member of a universal religion and that is nothing but Vedanta in someways Hindutva as it does not differentiate people according to they process of worshipping......
As there may be thousands or millions of sects but ultimately all they are part of one ....a one which is omnipresent and encompassing...........Religion is not found in books, nor in in rituals, nor in dogmas, nor in talks nor even in person ...but religion is being and being is a religon.........so as you being and self analyst...so you might reach to the superconscious state faster than many other people...........I am not saying believe me without analysing it....My path of self actualization and religion could be different and might not possible for you...even your process and actualization might be different from me.......but aim as a human to be a beeter human being will remain same......and that is the main aim of every human being...And I am not supporter to any political party or person.......
With Admiration

Kaushik

vaaruni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
vaaruni said...

@ karthick maverick
ur words are as good as gold.....
I tip my hat to u......
well each person is different but ur interpretation of vedanta or religion
is great.....
i dont deny siva's opinion but she have to analyse more....